Aim: To understand, monitor and characterise the colonisation processes, environmental variables and site selection criteria of biofouling organisms on artificial structures.
Objectives:To collect baseline data regarding artificial reefs and structures and monitor the colonisation process in order to gain an understanding of the variables that should be studied selected when choosing an artificial reef site. To study the larval dispersion process in order to assess site selection criteria.
Collaborators: Cyprus Institute (Nicosia), Fisheries Research Institute (Kavala, Greece), AP Marine (Nicosia), Department of Fisheries and Marine Research (Nicosia).
- Jimenez, C., Andreou, V., Evriviadou, M., Britta, M., Hadjioannou, L., Petrou, A., Abu Alhaija, R. (2017). Epibenthic Communities Associated with Unintentional Artificial Reefs (Modern Shipwrecks) Under Contrasting Regimes of nutrients in the Levantine Sea (Cyprus and Lebanon).PLoS ONE 12(8): e0182486. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0182486
- Jimenez, C., Hadjioannou, L., Petrou, A., Andreou, V., Georgiou, A. (2017). Fouling communities of two accidental artificial reefs (modern shipwrecks) in Cyprus (Levantine Sea). Water. 9(11). DOI: 10.3390/w9010011.
- Siciliano, A., Jimenez, C., Petrou, A. (2016). Recreational Diving and Its Effects on the Macroalgal Communities of the Unintentional Artificial Reef Zenobia Shipwreck (Cyprus). J Oceanogr Mar Res 4: 151. https://www.esciencecentral.org/journals/archive-oceanography-open-access.php
- Jimenez, C., Petrou, A., Evriviadou, M., Nikolaidis, A., Hadjioannou, L., Britta, M., Lange, M. A. (2013). Benthic marine communities associated to “artificial reefs” (modern shipwrecks) under contrasting regimes of nutrients and pollution in the Levantine Sea (Cyprus and Lebanon). The 10th International Conference on Artificial Reefs and Related Aquatic Habitats. Oral presentation.
- Petrou., A., Jimenez, C., Hadjioannou, L., Papadopoulou, A., Demesticha. S. (2013). Anthropogenic impacts and responses of organisms to artificial reef disturbance. The 10thInternational Conference on Artificial Reefs and Related Aquatic Habitats. Oral presentation.
- Achilleos, K., Jimenez, C., Petrou, A., Sfendourakis, S., Demesticha, S. (2013). A fourth-century BCE ancient artificial reef. The 10th International Conference on artificial reefs and related aquatic habitats. Poster in 10th CARAH, 23-27 Sept. Izmir, Turkey.